Human Resources DirectorJune 20, 2019
Allurion Technologies is a rapidly growing, global, venture-backed healthcare company headquartered in Natick, Massachusetts with offices in Paris and Dubai. The Company was founded in 2009 by two Harvard Medical School students dedicated to helping consumers lose weight. The Company’s flagship program features the Elipse Balloon, a procedureless device for the treatment of overweight and obese consumers, an Allurion Bluetooth® body composition scale, and an Allurion smartphone app that tracks the user’s progress throughout their weight loss journey. The program leads to 25 to 30 lbs of weight loss in 4 months. The Elipse Balloon is placed in a 15-minute office visit and does not require surgery, endoscopy or anesthesia for placement or removal. The Company launched commercial operations in 2016, and 15,000 consumers have already experienced the Elipse Program across 20 countries in Europe, the Middle East, and Latin America. In 2018, the company commenced a pivotal study for FDA approval which is now complete. Allurion has been recognized as one of Fierce Medical Device’s Fierce 15, one of Boston’s 50onFire, and a top Emerging Technology by SAGES.
The HR Director is responsible for working with leadership on all aspects of the employment cycle from talent acquisition, on-boarding and performance management to talent development, organizational effectiveness and total rewards (compensation, benefits, etc.). The position supports the company strategy to hire and retain the best talent and to grow the HR capability as the company grows. He/she reports to the Chief Executive Officer.
- Talent acquisition: Manages the talent acquisition process including partnering with managers on developing accurate job descriptions, sourcing candidates, interviewing candidates, coordinating next steps and assessing final candidates. In addition, trains all employees on the Allurion recruiting process and interview skills to ensure consistency and effectiveness. Supports company growth by conducting market-based research on effective sourcing techniques in various geographies and continuously identifying new ways to successfully hire remotely.
- Hiring and On-boarding: Leads the HR-related new hire on-boarding effort for new employees and supports Hiring Managers in developing their overall orientation plans. Generates offer, communicates with employee prior to start date and provides necessary support to properly prepare new hire. Leads initiatives related to new hire company onboarding. Responsible for ensuring that all new hires have received and completed all necessary paperwork for compliance, payroll and benefits.
- Performance management: Manages performance evaluation program, including annual and mid-year reviews by communicating the process and timing to employees and managers, providing necessary support and training to all employees, and continuously enhancing the training and tools to ensure that the program is effective. Provides day to day performance management guidance to managers (coaching, counseling, career development, disciplinary actions, etc.).
- Employee relations: Supports and coaches managers with employee-related issues, conflicts or concerns and provides support to employees who have questions or concerns related to Company policies or practices. Maintains in-depth knowledge of legal requirements related to day-to-day management of employees, reducing legal risks and ensuring regulatory compliance. Gets appropriate legal support, when necessary.
- Talent development: Works with team leaders to identify and develop growth opportunities and plans for strong performers, including a combination of training, coaching, stretch assignments and self learning. Coaches employees and managers on developing their skills and growing their careers, in current and/or future roles. Develops transparent career ladders for each discipline, so career growth is perceived as a tangible opportunity and benefit of working at Allurion.
- Compensation: Analyzes company-wide compensation, obtains any necessary market data and establishes appropriate compensation structure to support growth, to maintain fairness and equity and to ensure that Allurion is paying at the necessary level to hire and retain strong talent.
- Benefits: Works with leadership on continuously assessing benefits offerings to ensure that it’s competitive to support Allurion’s recruiting and retention goals as well as fiscally responsible. Leads benefits strategy and works with HR and Payroll Administrator to ensure benefits are being administered effectively and employees are receiving the best possible service and resolves issues, when necessary. Provides ongoing communication regarding benefit programs through various venues including the newsletter, e-mail communication and company update meetings, as appropriate.
- Organizational Effectiveness: Supports leadership with organizational change initiatives that impact culture and morale, including remote hiring, office moves, company growth, leadership change, department transitions, etc. Provides advice on strategies for engaging employees in organizational change in a positive way, including effective communication, recognition and celebration of culture throughout the employment cycle, visibility of Allurion’s culture, mission, vision and values, etc.
- Strategy: Works with leadership on establishing HR strategic plan and goals that support and drive the Company goals. Recommends new approaches and practices to affect continual improvements in the efficiency of the department and services performed. Identifies tangible goals and targets to measure effectiveness.
- Employee practices and procedures: Develops, recommends, and implements employee policies and procedures. Prepares and maintains employee handbook and provides clarification to employees with questions. Anticipates any necessary changes or additions to documented policies and proactively makes recommendations, based on federal and state legal changes.
- Risk Management/Compliance: Maintains and expands knowledge and understanding of existing and proposed federal and state laws/regulations affecting human resources management. Identifies trends that could impact organizational objectives and/or operational resources. Interprets appropriate laws and/or work with attorneys, when necessary to provide necessary advice to management and employees.
- Records and Reporting: Establishes and maintains department records and reports. Generates and maintains employee reports, as needed. Maintains company organization charts.
- S. Business, Management, HR or other related field
- 10-15+ years HR experience, including 5+ years in a leadership role
- Must have international HR experience
- Experience in a small business and/or start-up environment a plus
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- High level of comfort in dealing with employees and managers on a wide variety of issues, sometimes sensitive
- Ability to work with confidential information in a professional way
- Effective team player – puts personal agenda aside and focuses on what’s best for the team
- Demonstrates flexibility – willing to work on both strategic and tactical work, depending on the business needs at the time
- Strong organizational and prioritization skills
- Analytical and detail focused
- Effectiveness in a dynamic, fast-paced and ever-changing environment
- Salary will be commensurate with prior experience
- Comprehensive medical, dental, vision, life and disability insurance
- Tuition reimbursement
- Newborn baby care allowance
- Generous holiday schedule
- 3 weeks paid time off
- Stock options
- Company-matched 401K savings plan
Must be authorized to work in the US.
Qualified applicants should submit a resume to: HR@allurion.com
Because of demand, we will only respond to applicants who we consider to be a good match for the position and our organization.